The Sports & Arts (S&A) Program at the Canadian Sport Centre Manitoba was created in 2001 in partnership with the Pembina Trails School Division to provide flexibility and support for high performance athletes and artists who wish to pursue their sport and art goals, as well as maintain a high standard in their academics.
S&A is offered through Vincent Massey Collegiate and provides flexible timetables, individualized programs, performance contracts, teacher advisor programs, French immersion, an advanced placement program and honours courses.
The deadline for applications for the 2017/18 academic year has passed.
Thank you to all who applied. Applicants will be contacted in mid-March regarding the outcome of their application.
Who is eligible?
To apply to the Sports & Arts Program, the student must be:
- An individual sport athlete entering into grade 9, 10, 11 or 12
- athletes of team sports, for example basketball or volleyball, are not eligible
- OR an artist entering into grade 9, 10, 11 or 12
- for example a dancer or actor
- Able to maintain an average grade of 65% or higher in the school academics
NOTE: If you will be a new student at Vincent Massey Collegiate in the 2017-2018 year, please contact Stacy Hawash at email@example.com for a Vincent Massey academic application in addition to this one.
What does the program offer?
- Teachers. The Sports & Arts Program is privileged to offer top rated teachers. These knowledgeable and experienced professionals share a passion for the program and are dedicated to supporting you in your sport and academic goals.
- Teacher Advisor. Essential to the Sport & Arts Program is the teacher advisor. The teacher advisor acts as the student’s advocate, makes necessary arrangements regarding homework and assignments when travelling, and acts as the liaison between teachers and the parents and student.
- Academic Support. Maintaining your studies while away training or competing is essential. Vincent Massey Collegiate is equipped with an inventory of laptop computers so that academic support will always be available to you. If necessary, you can also use our Tutorial Support Program.
Once accepted into the Sports & Arts Program, you will have an individually constructed timetable that keeps your training schedule in mind. Most student athletes attend classes either in the morning or afternoon. Negotiate with your coach, teacher advisor and parents to plan the best schedule for you. If you maintain a good standing in your courses and within your sport, you will enjoy the many benefits of the program during your time at Vincent Massey Collegiate.
Some of the benefits include:
- A fitness and weight room facility available within the school.
- A credit course “Advanced Sport: Principles and Applications” offered specifically to elite athletes.
- An annual parent workshop to provide information on various topics with guest speakers who are experts in their fields.
- Informal gatherings in order for students to socialize and support each other.
Notable Sports & Arts program graduates include:
Leah Kirchmann – Rio 2016 Olympic Games (cycling)
Tyler Mislawchuk – Rio 2016 Olympic Games (triathlon)
Nicole Sifuentes – London 2012, Rio 2016 Olympic Games (athletics)
Chantal Van Landeghem – Rio 2016 Olympic Games medallist (swimming)
Kelsey Wog – Canadian National Team member (swimming)
and 2017 graduate
Victoria Tachinski – Canadian Jr. National Team member & record holder (track)
Read their testimonials: Sports & Arts Program Testimonials